My research question is: What are the different fields in forensics?
Over the last seven weeks, I have found many reliable sources that have showed me the different fields in forensics. This week, I researched into the fields I have already touched on. The gaps I filled in my research are the legal side of forensics, found specific job titles, found specific information about fingerprinting and DNA and how they are able to match everything, and found out more information about criminal profiling. I feel that through all the research, I have covered just about everything I have intended to... and more!
My research bibs are posted below:
1. Nute, Dale. "Advice about a Career in Forensic
Science." Advice about a Career in Forensic Science. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Oct. 2013.
<http://www.criminology.fsu.edu/faculty/nute/FScareers.html>.
I chose this article because
it talks about the different jobs available in the forensic field.
2. "Fingerprints." Fingerprints. National Museum of Crime & Punishment, 2008.
Web. 20 Oct. 2013.
<http://www.crimemuseum.org/library/forensics/fingerprints.html>.
This article is about
fingerprinting. “Fingerprint
identification is one of the most important criminal investigation tools due to
two aspects of fingerprints: their persistence and their uniqueness.”
3. "Journal of Investigative Psychology and
Offender Profiling." - ResearchGate. John Wiley & Sons, 2013. Web. 20 Oct. 2013.
<http://www.researchgate.net/journal/1544-4767_Journal_of_Investigative_Psychology_and_Offender_Profiling>.
This journal article is
about criminal profiling. “all aspects
of interviewing, statement assessment, validation and analysis, the detection
of deception, and related matters of forensic hypnosis and 'lie detectors',
false allegations and investigative aspects of recovered memories are also
welcome.”
4. "DNA Evidence: Basics of Analyzing." National
Institute of Justice. N.p., 9 Aug.
2012. Web. 20 Oct. 2013.
<http://www.nij.gov/topics/forensics/evidence/dna/basics/analyzing.htm>.
This article is about DNA. “1)
the isolation of the DNA from an evidence sample containing DNA of unknown
origin, and generally at a later time, the isolation of DNA from a sample
(e.g., blood) from a known individual; 2) the processing of the DNA so that
test results may be obtained; 3) the determination of the DNA test results (or
types), from specific regions of the DNA; and 4) the comparison and
interpretation of the test results from the unknown and known samples to
determine whether the known individual is not the source of the DNA or is
included as a possible source of the DNA.”
5. Conroy, Mary A. "Open Access Journal of Forensic
Psychology." Open Access Journal of Forensic Psychology. N.p., 2009. Web. 13 Oct. 2013.
<http://www.forensicpsychologyunbound.ws/OAJFP/Conroy_2009.html>.
I chose this journal article
because it is
about risk management and risk assessment.
6. Fabian, John M., PSY.D., J.D., ABPP. "Open
Access Journal of Forensic Psychology." Open Access Journal of Forensic
Psychology. N.p., 2 Mar. 2010. Web.
20 Oct. 2013. <http://www.forensicpsychologyunbound.ws/OAJFP/Fabian_2010.html>.
This journal article talks
about forensic psychology and the legal system. “The legal questions derive from
legislation and statutes addressing forensic areas such as insanity, competency
to stand trial, sexually violent predator (SVP) civil commitment, death penalty
mitigation, personal injury, and child custody. As a result, the practice
of forensic psychology demands experts to develop a specialized knowledge of legal
issues within their area(s) of expertise.”
Lana I really admire the career field that you are aspiring to. Since I know you personally I can honestly say this is the perfect area of work for you. It seems you are finding some really relevant searches. I think you had a wide variety of selections and a nice broad topic to research. Forensics is something we will always need and by reading your blog I really learned a lot about the vastness of the field and all the different aspects it offers. Wonderful blog!! Best of luck in all you do
ReplyDelete